- Julian Lennon, whose full name is Julian Charles John Lennon, is a renowned musician, photographer, and film producer from the UK. His debut album “Valotte” and hit single “Too Late for Goodbyes” brought him overnight fame in 1984.
- He is not only an accomplished musician but also a talented fine-art photographer and author of several children’s books. Additionally, he has produced award-winning documentary films like “WhaleDreamers” in 2006.
- Julian Lennon is also known for his philanthropic efforts through “The White Feather,” an environmental and humanitarian foundation he established in 2007. Recently, he made headlines for his surprising reaction to his late father’s virtual duet with Paul McCartney, a former bandmate.
Julian Lennon’s Family and Relationships
- Julian never married due to his strained relationship with his father, John Lennon, and he does not have any children. He wanted to spare his potential children from facing the same challenges he experienced growing up.
- Julian’s parents are John Lennon and Cynthia Lennon. John Lennon was a legendary singer, songwriter, and member of “The Beatles.” Cynthia was John’s first wife, and they named Julian after his paternal grandmother, Julia Lennon.
- In 1968, John and Cynthia divorced because of John’s affair with Yoko Ono, a renowned Japanese multimedia artist, singer, songwriter, and peace activist. They married in March 1969, and their son, Sean Lennon, became Julian’s half-brother.
- Despite the history between Julian’s father and Yoko Ono, Julian maintains a cordial relationship with her and is close to her son, Sean Lennon, who is also a talented musician.
Inheritance Controversy and Yoko Ono’s Settlement
- Julian was not initially included in his father’s will, but John created a trust of £100,000 for him and his half-brother.
- Julian reportedly sued his father’s estate and reached a settlement agreement with Yoko Ono for a substantial amount of £20 million.
The Strained Relationship between Julian and John Lennon
- The relationship between Julian and his father John deteriorated when John left Cynthia for Yoko Ono. Julian felt neglected and hurt by his father’s actions and claimed that John spoke negatively about him in public.
- John’s will did not include Julian, a decision that Julian believed was influenced by Yoko Ono.
- In the early 1970s, Julian reconnected with his father, thanks to John’s then-girlfriend, May Pang. Their reconciliation allowed Julian to forgive his father and spend better times together.
- Julian expressed that he found his father to be hypocritical, advocating peace and love while engaging in divorce and adultery.
Julian Lennon Today
- As of 2022, Julian Lennon is 59 years old, born on 8th April 1963, in Liverpool, England, United Kingdom.
- Julian continues to pursue his passion for music, photography, and philanthropy through his foundation, “The White Feather.”
- Despite the challenges he faced in the past, Julian has found peace and reconciliation, and he cherishes the memories he had with his father, John Lennon.
Julian Lennon’s life has been marked by his artistic achievements, strained family relationships, and eventual reconciliation. He has become a multifaceted artist and philanthropist, leaving a lasting impact on the world through his music, photography, and charitable efforts. Despite the controversies surrounding his inheritance, Julian Lennon has chosen to focus on the positive aspects of his life and continues to inspire others with his art and philanthropy.